USB enclosure?

I just bought an external HDD enclosure for my old IDE disks so I can
attack to my laptop using USB. How do I set this up? I will not always
have the same IDE disk in there when I boot (there are 3 HDD) nor will
I even have the enclosure connected to my USB port every time I boot
up. So how do I handle this? I am running 2.6.18 kernel with udev (and
no I have no clue how to write udev rules and I hope kernel developers
abandon udev foolishness in the future and return to devfs + some
extensions heh). What kernel modules will I need to load setup this
device and do I just add them to /etc/modules, run depmod -a and
reboot? And then lsmod to verify they were loaded and just plugin the
drive enclosure? Do I need create a special device for USB? I would
like /etc/fstab to automatically load the enclosure drive if it
detects it was attached on boot up.

Zach