Re: Upgrade from 32bit Sarge to 64bit Etch

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:19:36 +0200
Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:

> Another way you might want to go about it, is to just upgrade a 32-bit
> setup to a 64 bit one, rather than installing multiple versions.  That
> being said, I have both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version
> installed, but use the 32 bit version most of the time.  I *could* use
> the 64-bit version and chroot to the 32-bit apps that I need that are
> not available for 64-bit, but it's not very often that I need the 64-bit
> power and it IMO isn't worth the trouble of setting it all up.

I did this just to see if it could be done and I don't recommend it.
You need a clean 64 but environment to begin with and boot into when
things get sticky so you can chroot the system being converted, and
there are likely to be glitches with the system afterwords while you
are getting things sorted out. I still have one glitch when I upgrade
packages indicating indicating some error in readline.pm that I don't
see in the clean install.

If you go to google and search there are guides for setting up the
chroot environment on another partition, where to mount it, how to
bootstrap it, and I remember some mention of making it bootable as
well.

I have not really noticed that much not being available for 64 bit. The
things I can think of off the top of my head are....

Realplayer/Helix player
w32codecs
Flash
Java browser plugin

Depending on what you do swfdecode or Gnash might cover your flash
needs and the gcj browser plug-in might cover your java plug-in needs,
security is a concern with the gcj plug-in though.

Nspluginwrapper will let you use 32 bit plug-ins with iceweasel. It
works for flash if you download the tar.gz from adobe, extract it, then
use nspluginwrapper to install it. I have not got around to trying it
with java since there are extra issues with needing a 32 bit java in
addition to a 32 bit java plug-in.

I don't know if all the codecs from the mplayer site work, there is an
amd64 esenential codecs package.

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

Later, Seeker