Re: advantages and disadvantages of local/lang en_CA.UTF-8?

Hi

On 6/6/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
Could you define "everything"?  Do you mean README text file, html,
what?  If so, do you mean that if I were running with 'C' I couldn't
read them?

Everything means that (roughly spoken) UTF-8 has place enough store
every thinkable character in the known world.

Think of a source package with a README in it that is written in
Chinese, french and spain (one file with all three languages in it).
Tell me how to do that in ANSI/ASCII - it's not possible. UTF-8 makes
that possible and all the characters look sane (even if you can't read
them you will know that this has to be right since it just looks like
a written language).

Now with you being from canada for the sake of example I'll assume you
do speak french.

You read that french part of the howto and add an english translation
(which actually uses just characters that are defined in ASCII but are
encoded as UTF-8 within that file). So now you have a single README
and 4 languages in it all 4 of them will display properly.

Also got to http://www.unicode.org there's a plaintext file somewhere
with about 20 Languages in it (hebrew, chinese arabic, english) chosen
by "incompatibility. Download the file and view it on a unicode
enabled system, and on a non unicode system. Make sure the fonts you
have are unicode enabled - meaning it doesn't help to have a unicode
enabled system if you only have 1 single font with characters
[a-zA-Z0-9] as there you'd be missint [äöüàáâê] and a whole lot of
other I can't type.

Also, does "everything" mean within Debian or everything on the
internet?

the latter afaik

hth
martin