Re: printer setup

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 05:04:23PM +0000, bobsetch@comcast.net wrote:
Back again. I finally have etch gnome up and running again but am still having problems with my hp printer. I've tried using gnome desktop to setup the printer and everything seems to be ok until I print the test page and nothing happens. When I looki at the que iI see status: job stopped.

so the job is there? just stopped? or is the printer stopped with no
job in the queue?

I've tried cups but it asks for a user name and password but does not accept mine and I have to cancel out of cups. I assume that since I'm not on line this option will nt work.

this option has nothing to do with whether you are "on line" or
not. Cups, on your local machine, provides a web interface for its
configuration. That's why you can access it through
localhost:631. localhost is the current machine you are sitting
at. The user and password your need would be 'root' and root's
password. Or you can add yourself to the lpadmin group

useradd <your-user-id> lpadmin

and then logout/login and then you will be able to modify the printer
as yourself instead of as root.

I've also tried /usr.sbin/lpadmin -p deskjet -vdirect usb://hp/deskjet%203900?serialxxxxx... -m deskjet.ppd. I get lpadmin: unknown argument usb://hp/deskjet....

hmmm... I've not tried this method, so can't speek to it, but if you
could provide the verbatim output that would be great. it might be a
quoting issue for the usb://... portion, try it with quotes around it.

can you provide the contents of the cups logs (/var/log/cups/*)

I've spent many hours reading info from gmone, cups and debian and still find myself knocking my head against the wall. anyone know what I can do?

keep trying? Odds are its something really simple but we're losing it
in the transmission here.
rejoice in the fact that when its all done, you'll be a cups expert ;)

This is a shot in the dark, but I've seen this issue several times. If your printer configuration is setting the paper size to A4 and you're printer is is actually US letter size, the job will stop, waiting for the correct paper type.

You'd need to use one of the CUPS configuration tools (I prefer the browser based method), select the printer configuration and verify the paper size there.

--
Bob McGowan
Symantec, Inc.