printer setup

Back again. I finally have etch gnome up and running again but am still having problems with my hp printer. I've tried using gnome desktop to setup the printer and everything seems to be ok until I print the test page and nothing happens. When I looki at the que iI see status: job stopped.

I've tried cups but it asks for a user name and password but does not accept mine and I have to cancel out of cups. I assume that since I'm not on line this option will nt work.

I've also tried /usr.sbin/lpadmin -p deskjet -vdirect usb://hp/deskjet%203900?serialxxxxx... -m deskjet.ppd. I get lpadmin: unknown argument usb://hp/deskjet....

I've spent many hours reading info from gmone, cups and debian and still find myself knocking my head against the wall. anyone know what I can do?

Bob