Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.

On Sunday 03 June 2007 19:52:27 cothrige wrote:
> * Wesley J. Landaker (wjl@icecavern.net) wrote:
> > Well since gNewSense is a derivative of Ubuntu which derives from
> > Debian, by default the emacs docs would be out as well, unless they add
> > them back in themselves. Looking at gNewSense, I got the impression
> > that they only removed things and didn't actually modify packages to
> > add things back in.
>
> I was aware that gNewSense was derived from Ubuntu, but I suppose I
> had not given much thought to how Ubuntu themselves handle these
> things.  Do they just redistribute these things straight from Debian?

Well, mostly, yes, they just take a periodic snapshot of sid, and work from
there. Obviously that is simplifying things somewhat, since they do add
their own packages, modify their supported core, etc.

> I suppose I simply assumed that they would include the documentation
> for Emacs, either by restoring it to the Debian package or by
> repackaging it entirely.  It makes me a bit curious thinking about it.

I have no idea what they do with stable emacs + documentation in the core
(if it's in their core), but I would suppose guarantee that if they had an
emacs snapshot, it would be basically unmodified in their "universe"
section.

Anyway, the point is that somebody (Ubuntu or gNewSense) is going to have to
actively do some work to "fix" things to their liking since their upstream
is Debian. I'm not sure that they actually do or will do this.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>