Re: Debian Etch can not startx

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 01:14:37AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 04:45:30AM +0000, rocky wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I got a very old PC which was purchased 6 years ago. I use Debian
> > netinstall CD installed the base Debian etch system. I have been
> > trying to install basic GUI on it. Therefore I execute the following
> > command:[QUOTE]#aptitude update
> > aptitude install twm x-window-system[/QUOTE]

[Commands indented by one tab stop and on a line of their own for
clarity only in the text below]

Type

	dmesg | less

This will page you through the kernel messages that come up as you boot
the computer. One of them should list the video card.

	lspci | less

will list any PCI devices: mine lists the Radeon card I have here at the
end.

You may need to install the xorg package, discover (optional here) is
also a fairly useful package which attempts to auto-discover your
hardware and help configure the card and mouse.

	aptitude install discover xorg

> > I was asked for some questions regarding to my hardware. I was not
> > quite sure whether my answer is right because I'm quite new to
> > computer hardware and I have no means to find the manuals for the old
> > PC.

	<lots of stuff about not finding mouse snipped>

As suggested by Kevin, you need

	dpkg-reconfigure xorg

Hope this helps,

Andy