Re: cannot access machine after apt-get dist-upgrade

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 06:03:06PM +0000, Robert Cates <cates58@hotmail.com> was heard to say:
> I've just decided to upgrade my Sarge server to Etch, which the process
> itself seemed to go very smoothly, but now after rebooting it does not
> bring up my eth0 and eth1, nor can I input any on the keyboard.  In
> other words, I'm now locked out.
>
> The last thing I did was installed kernel/linux image 2.6.18 (with SMP),
> so I have both the original 2.6.8 as well as the new 2.6.18.  Now,
> regardless of which kernel I boot, I'm locked out.  Is there a way I can
> still access my machine?  I'll like to avoid having to completely
> re-install from fresh.

  It sounds like you can access your bootloader.  Have you tried booting
with init=/bin/sh and poking around that way?

  When you say you can't input anything on the keyboard -- what is
displayed on the screen?  Is it showing a graphical login, a text-mode
login, or something completely different?

  Daniel