Re: How do I listen to radio?

On 06/01/07 18:38, Ed Jabbour wrote:
On Friday 01 June 2007 12:15, Nigel Henry wrote:

Ed says.

OK.  Installed from RealPlayer10GOLD.bin.  Symlinks are in place.  Shows
up in about:plugins.  But, BBC radio is a nogo, as above.  Same failure
at CSPAN, btw. On sites other than those two, RealPlayer works fine. Well, not the Amazon realplayer samples - says their codecs are too old. I use xine for windoze media files - works fine. Oh well, as the old
Indian in "Little Big Man" said - "Sometimes the magic works and
sometimes it doesn't".
This is really weird. The fact that some sites work with realplayer makes
it even weirder. I tried the C-SPAN site, click on use realplayer, and
Iceweasel asks what I want to open it with, and  realplayer 10 is there
waiting for me to click on it, then it dl's the ram file, and the
standalone version of realplayer opens, then the audio starts to flow.

Some Real files play, depending evidently on the extension. Just tried the RealPlayer stuff at

 http://www.cpcweb.com/Webcasting/webcast_samples.htm

If I click on any language other than English, ".rm" files are called, and they play w/o a hitch. The English files, though, are ".smi", and RealPlayer tells me that the file, <something>.rm, cannot be found. Of course not - it's a .smi file.

Same errors here.

At RealPlayer's site, http://service.real.com/realplayer/test/, none of the ".ram" files play.

I clicked on all of the 256K .ram links and they all worked perfectly.

In short, .rm files play; none of the other extensions do. btw, the listing in about:plugins shows only the ".rpm" extension. Is it supposed to show more?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA