Re: How do I listen to radio?

On Thursday 31 May 2007 09:26, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 31 May 2007 03:07, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 May 2007 06:00, Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> > > I can listen to it by just clicking on the "listen" link at
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2, using the realplayer package; this is
> > > not standard Debian, but you can get it if you put in
> > > /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > I click on the "listen" link and nothng happens.  The embedded player
> > says "stopped" and the standalone just sits there.  I have Realplayer 10:
> >
> > realplayer:
> >   Installed: 10.0.8-0.1
> >   Candidate: 10.0.8-0.1

> Let me start again, as I'm not sure about realplayer 10.0.8-0.1 from
> debian-multimedia. I've got it installed on Etch, but have also installed
> RealPlayer10Gold.bin in /usr/local, which I get direct from
> http://www.real.com/linux/ . I normally install Realplayer in this way, by
> the way, but probably installed the one from debian-multimedia to see if it
> worked ok. Perhaps it didn't, and is why I've also installed the other one
> in /usr/local.
>
> Check in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to see if nphelix.so , and nphelix.xpt
> are there. They , in my case are links
> to /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla/nphelix.so , and .xpt
>
> If they arn't there, I'd remove the realplayer from debian-multimedia, and
> dl the one direct from the real.com site, and install that.
>
> To install.
> Go to the directory where you dl'd it, and in the files
> properties>permissions, check the executable box.
>
> Now in a terminal, cd to the directory, and type.
> ./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin
> Enter
> set the path where you want to put it. I put it in /usr/local/RealPlayer.
> Dont forget the Realplayer bit, otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of
> files in /usr/local.
> Enter
> Yes to system wide sym links
> Enter, and Enter again on the next line
> F to finish install
>
> You should now have the symlinks for the 2 nphelix files
> in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
>
> If you are using Firefox/Iceweasel provided by the Debian repo, the bbc
> site should work now.
>
> Let me know how you get on, sorry if you already know about the install
> stuff above, and for the analogue/digital rambling, which probably doesn't
> apply.

OK.  Installed from RealPlayer10GOLD.bin.  Symlinks are in place.  Shows up in
about:plugins.  But, BBC radio is a nogo, as above.  Same failure at CSPAN,
btw.  On sites other than those two, RealPlayer works fine.   Well, not the
Amazon realplayer samples - says their codecs are too old.  I use xine for
windoze media files - works fine.  Oh well, as the old Indian in "Little Big
Man" said - "Sometimes the magic works and sometimes it doesn't".