Re: [OT] I also am AAAAANGRY (was Re: I am ANGRY with Debian.)

On 06/01/07 06:36, Carl Fink wrote:
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 06:16:46AM -0500, Klein Moebius wrote:
* Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> [2007-05-31 21:58:47 -0400]:

In fact, at the time of the naming (1776), there were no other recognized
"states" in the Americas. Just colonies.
I think Hopi, Navajo, Pueblo, Apache, Kiowa, Nez Perce, Sioux,
Blackfoot, and a host of other peoples I've failed to mention here would
take issue with that statement.

Why?  They were not states, or at least not nation-states.

The Aztecs and Incas had nation-states.  The Maya and other Mesoamerican
peoples had city-states.  By 1776 they had been crushed.  In that time
period, the North American Indians were not organized into nation-states
(although apparently peoples like the Mound Builders had been in the past).

The Iroquois Confederacy existed before European Colonization, and were called the Five Nations. However, Wikipedia says "at the height of their power in the seventeenth century, (there was only) a population of around twelve thousand people."

Not to denigrate them, but
a) they didn't call themselves "the United States of America", and
b) those 12000 people just got swamped by European colonization.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA