Re: XDMCP

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Daniel D Jones wrote:

One more thing:  There is a reported but unfixded bug in kdm in
Debian/Ubuntu going back a long way which is causing some xdmcp
configurations to fail when they really are ok.  If you look in your logs
you'll see reports of kdm_greet getting memory corruption if you are
getting this problem.  As a result of this problem I recently migrated a
bunch of thin client servers to use gdm instead of kdm.

You didn't specify which log but I didn't find any such errors in either
kdm.log or Xorg.0.log, nor did I find any other related errors in the log.
Maybe I'll try switching to xdm just to see.

It depends on how you have syslog configured. I recommend running a debug log to catch all the info. You can grep for the following error coming from kdm_greet:

"Internal error: memory corruption detected"

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073