Re: XDMCP

Thanks for the response.

root@Luke:/etc/kde3/kdm# cat Xaccess | grep ^[^#]
*                                       #any host can get a login window
*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser

> Also you need to enable xdmcp in kdmrc:
>
> # Whether KDM should listen to incoming XDMCP requests.
> # Default is true
> Enable=true

root@Luke:/etc/kde3/kdm# cat kdmrc | grep ^[^#]
[General]
ConfigVersion=2.3
StaticServers=:0
ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
ServerVTs=-7
ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid
[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
Willing=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xwilling
[Shutdown]
[X-*-Core]
Setup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup
Startup=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xstartup
Reset=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xreset
Session=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xsession
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowShutdown=Root
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors-%s
[X-*-Greeter]
LogoArea=Logo
LogoPixmap=/usr/share/apps/kdm/pics/kdelogo.png
AntiAliasing=true
MinShowUID=1000
MaxShowUID=29999
Preloader=/usr/bin/preloadkde
Theme=@@@ToBeReplacedByDesktopBase@@@
[X-:*-Core]
ServerCmd=/usr/bin/X -br
ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowShutdown=All
[X-:*-Greeter]
PreselectUser=Previous
FocusPasswd=true
LoginMode=DefaultLocal
AllowClose=true
[X-:0-Core]
ClientLogFile=.xsession-errors
[X-:0-Greeter]

> Restart kdm at this point.

I verified the settings you mentioned, and all were correct.  I restarted kdm
just to ensure that I hadn't neglected to restart it after changing one of
the above when I was doing the initial configuration.  No change.

> Make sure you backup kdmrc before making any changes so you can rollback
> if you break it.
>
> One more thing:  There is a reported but unfixded bug in kdm in
> Debian/Ubuntu going back a long way which is causing some xdmcp
> configurations to fail when they really are ok.  If you look in your logs
> you'll see reports of kdm_greet getting memory corruption if you are
> getting this problem.  As a result of this problem I recently migrated a
> bunch of thin client servers to use gdm instead of kdm.

You didn't specify which log but I didn't find any such errors in either
kdm.log or Xorg.0.log, nor did I find any other related errors in the log.
Maybe I'll try switching to xdm just to see.