Re: apt-get install synaptic / sources.list

Joe Hart wrote:

I warn you again though, this is not a good idea.  You'd be better off
downloading the tarball from the developers' web site and compiling it
that you would by trying to use apt to pull in a package from sarge.
The packages there are old, and have very different dependencies.

Joe
- --

Thanks Joe.

Yeah I know. My argument would be that I'm tired of sepnding every evening and weekend trying to install things. I *could* rant about that, but instead I think I will log my experiences and turn it into a guide.

If i use a tarball, i have to wait for an error message, go get a dependancy, try again, get another, try again... and this is fine by all developers minds. To mine it is not. There is a problem.

Bet you'd all be shocked if I came up with the perfect solution ;-)