Re: z25_persistent-net.rules

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 01:45:48PM +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> somethin2cool@yahoo.com:
> >
> > My network card isn't listed,
>
> Where do you look for it? How?
>
> > concerning the files:
> > /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules
> > /etc/network/interfaces
>
> > There is no reference to Realtek, who make my card at all. I have been
> > told that there should be.
>
> Not literally. /etc/network/interfaces contains references to your
> network hardware, but it doesn't care about hardware details. It just
> deals with device names like 'eth0'.
>
> Your udev rules file contains only references to network cards by usage
> of their MAC address (should be printed physically somewhere on the
> device).
>
> To get an overview of all network devices currently knows about, run
> 'ifconfig -a'.

you can also try

ip li - this will show all the links on the machine

and

lspci - to see whats attached to the pci

from the pci bus you can card the card id numbers (vender and ??) and see if
those match up to a specific driver/module and then try and load that module
and see what the error is from there