SOLVED?: ssi on apache2 doesn't work

On 4/26/07, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

As I understand it, apache2 uses "/etc/apache2/apache2.conf" as its main config file rather than "httpd.conf". I further understand that this file looks to other files for "virtual web servers", so I also need to consider the file "/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default" (which symlinks to "/etc/apache2/sites-available/default".

I finally realized that the way apache2 uses these "other files" is by including them in the main "apache2.conf" file via an "include" directive.

So I went back and looked in the main " apache2.conf" file for includes, and found that it also includes *.conf files within the "/etc/apache2/mods-enabled" directory.

Within this directory I found a "dir.conf" file, which contains:

<IfModule mod_dir.c>

          DirectoryIndex index.html index.cgi index.pl index.php index.xhtml

</IfModule>

Making the assumption that this line tells apache2 which files to load by default within a directory, I added " index.shtml" to the end of this "DirectoryIndex" line. I then restarted apache2, and boom, the page now loads properly.

My questions, should anyone deign to respond:

1. Have I made correct assumptions about the way Apache 2 works, or have I just discovered a way to make things seem to work?

2. Does the order of filenames matter in this "DirectoryIndex" line? For example, if a directory has both an "index.html" and an "index.shtml", will apache2 load the one that is listed first in this line and ignore the second, or is this determined in some other manner?

Thanks!

--
Kent West