Re: kernel 2.6.20 generates kernel panic at boot

On April 26, 2007 04:00:36 pm Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > On April 25, 2007 04:48:17 pm Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I updated the linux sources (debian package) from 2.6.18 to 2.6.20.
> >> Copied the previous .config and issued a make oldconfig
> >>
> >> However, the new kernel does not boot: it freezes with a kernel panic
> >> when trying to mount the root partition...
> >>
> >> My laptop is a sony vaio...
> >>
> >> On other computers (desktops) this kernel update succeeded without any
> >> problem...
> >>
> >> any clue please?
> >>
> >> thanks in advance
> >> 	Lorenzo
> >>

> > Using make oldconfig is not really recommended your better off using make
> > menuconfig, xconfig ... even if it is only to load then save and exit
> > with the old .config file at least you get a warning of what has
> > changed/is not
>
> I thought that make oldconfig was the right procedure when switching to
> a new kernel, since you're asked questions only about things that
> changed... am I missing something?
>
> are you suggesting instead to copy the old .config in the new kernel
> directory and issue a make menuconfig?  But how do you know about the
> new options?

I would suggest using make menuconfig then going down to the load
configuration from another file option putting in the path to your
old ,config to load then when exiting it asks if you want to save as
new .config. Once you exit you should see the warning(s) of any modules that
changed and could not be mapped to the new you would then do the menuconfig
again if any of the modules left out were important to you having in the
kernel.

> > used anymore. I know the driver names for the SATA drives at least
> > changed from the .18 to .20 so if it is using one of those then that is
> > the first place to look and the IDE drives are now being detected as sd?
> > instead of hd?
>
> I don't this is the issue: if you see my answer to another answer you
> see that the new kernel works perfectly on desktops where I have
> /dev/hd* (which are still detected as /dev/hd*) while the problem is on
> my laptop where the hard disk is /dev/sda

Ok this looks like my driver for the jmicron controller I have for my SATA
hard drive and the IDE burner it controls having changed its behavior then.
But your problem is as I mentioned already then with the SATA naming they
changed you will need to re-compile with the proper options set the oldconfig
method does not pick this up. An example of the change below.

grep -i sata_nv /boot/config-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=m

grep -i sata_nv /boot/config-2.6.20-ck1-core2duo
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y

> Lorenzo

Stephen

--