migrate / to new partition; wants to use old mount points

I wanted to migrate a sid install from a partition on a sata drive to a
partition on another ide drive.  I used dd to copy the partion, changed
fstab, and tried to boot into the system on the ide drive.  Grub recognizes
the ide drive, begins to boot, but after several (maybe 7 or 8 screens) of
data, the boot halts because it is trying to mount the old sata drive (which
is not now connected to the machine).  I originally thought this was a grub
problem (see thread "moved system do different partition; grub boot
problem"), but now think that the kernel on the new partition is booting, but
at some point in the boot process it begins to use all of the mount points on
the sata drive.  It is almost as if it is using the old fstab is being used
instead of the new one.  I then erased the new partition, and copied over the
old / using 'cp -a', which had the same result.  I then tried rsync, with the
same effect.

The message on the screen when the boot process stops reads something like:
    waiting 7 seconds for /sys/block/sda/sda10/dev to show up
    /bin/cat /sys/block/sda/sda10/dev: No such file or Directory
I cannot figure out why it is looking for sda10, which is where the original
/ was located on the sata drive, instead of looking at hdc2, which is where
the new / is located and is what it booted off of.

Is there any place besides /etc/fstab that indicates what partitions to
mount?  I changed /etc/mtab, but that didn't help, and can't find any other
places that might be diverting the boot process to the old drive.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Ric