Re: UUID vs /dev

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 06:42:56PM -0400, P Kapat wrote:
> USB drive (small pendrives, or may be a big backup external disk), KDE
> pops up a box to choose the action to mount/cancel the new drive. What
> if I don't want to mount it this way (why? i'll explain later **). I
> want to go back to CLI and use
>  $ sudo mount /dev/sdc /media/sdc  (*** Why use sudo?)
> Now, I know this is going to be /dev/sdc (I already have a backup
> drive connected, so sdb is used up). So what UUID do I use form a
> terminal? Things get a little complicated when you add those, 10-in-1
> card readers.. They become, sdc{1-4}, or something like that.
>
> There should be an easy way (terminal based, easy need not always mean
> GUI based) way to discover new added hardware and the user be able to
> use it without resorting to graphical iterfaces.

When you plug in the device, the kernel messages go to syslog (so use
tail /var/log/syslog) and possilby the console if you have it set up for
that.  This tells you what device node has been assigned, which you can
just go ahead and use with your mount command.  No need for a GUI.
If you want to use UUID, with it mounted look in /dev/disk/by-id which
will be full of symlinks pointing to the regular (sd*) device node.  Now
you can put that UUID in fstab and use it directly if you want.

Doug.