Re: Debian User List

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:12:56PM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:

> s. keeling wrote:
> > > Nah, the kids these days think MLs are old hat and
> > > frumpy compared to web forums.
>
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > No, kids are lazy and don't want to learn how to research,
> > or do the research themselves.
>
> Y'know, that may be true of many people, older and younger,
> but I'd just like to stick up for some of the people my age.
> There definitely are those who tend to think that forums are
> much worse for communication than are mailing lists, and
> also those who are more than willing to do some research in
> order to get things working right and/or improve upon them
> (if there's room). I promise.

I agree. A lot of kids these days don't bother using Google, and most of
them don't even try searching mailing list archives. I'll admit that
sometimes I don't Google stuff, but usually it's when I can't think of
WHAT to Google.

> > > You can't point and click on anything in slrn or mutt.
>
> > Isn't that why there's icedove, sylpheed, kmail...?
>
> See, I guess that's part of the weirdness of being me, but
> personally I try to turn off any "feature" that requires me
> to use the mouse in order to access it. So again, "kids
> these days" aren't *all* about flash and fancy show.

I completely agree with this; If I wasn't bound to always have to
monitor my battery life and wireless signal graphically (Because I'm on
a laptop) I'd probably be using Ion3 or wmii instead of Window Maker.

Oh, and the point of this mail is that I too fall into the "Young"
group, seeing as I'm seventeen. While most of my friends have spent half
the day boasting about how AOL has a new layout, I've been trying to get
a LUG set up in my local area.

--
http://digital-haze.net/~pobega/ - My Website
If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative