Further problems with OOo

My wife, using Etch, was writing a long document in OOo, went to go and save it as *.doc (for transport to work) and the document crashed. Now everything except the very earliest save is gone! She is *not* impressed (so much for my Linux advocacy!). How can I recover the document - the auto-recovery of OOo only retrieved the earlier stuff, but all changes she has made over the last few hours are gone.

Any guides on how I can rescue and resuscitate the document as close to when it crashed as possible and save my wife's emotional sanity?

A BIG thanks