OpenOffice.org spellchecks

I am using OOo on Etch with the English (UK) dictionaries enabled. However, I am finding that when I have the spell check enabled for when I type, there are no errors being picked up nor does the manual spell check find any errors either, despite me entering deliberate neologisms like "ggftr" and so on. KWriter finds the errors just fine so the dictionaries are evidently loading just fine. I have fiddled around with the language and writing aids in OOo and still zippo.

Any thoughts?