Re: debugging udev

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:10:40AM +0200, Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote:
> I have a VIA 82xx sound card and use ALSA. So I don't want OSS modules
> to be loaded. However, via82cxxx is sometimes loaded and is marked
> "[permanent]" in the lsmod output. When this happens, sound doesn't
> work.

Never mind, I was looking in wrong direction. via82cxxx is an IDE
driver, and via82cxxx_audio was not loaded.

My problem was that I've seen only the microphone volume in aumix and
attempts to playback anything resulted in error messages from mplayer.
This happened only sporadically. An attempt to rmmod and modprobe
snd_via82xx resulted in "VIA 82xx Audio: probe of 0000:00:11.5 failed
with error -12". The same message was output also during boot.

I've found the solution at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=433011 .

I checked /proc/asound/modules, it contained only snd_usb_audio. Indeed,
some time ago I inserted a USB webcam; I don't need its microphone.
While the page above shows how to configure two sound drivers, the
following /etc/modprobe.d/sound was enough for me:

alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
options snd-via82xx index=0
blacklist snd_usb_audio

With kind regards,