Re: OT: Hardware diagnostic

Kent West wrote:
[Laptop not booting from any hard drive, but fine from CD]

Thanks, Greg! Your hints to tinker with the drive's BIOS settings paid off.
<snip>
And to you and Joe, I'll look into replacing the BIOS battery also. Thanks!

Replaced the battery; the laptop seems to be working great now.

Now, as soon as I get the system restored (which is going swimmingly - W00t!), I'll boot into Knoppix, free up 2/3s of the drive, and then install Etch. Swee-ee-eet!

Rather than booting into Knoppix and manually partitioning the drive for an Etch install, I decided to try out the http://goodbye-microsoft.com method.

Wow! That worked really sweet. From a freshly restored Windows XP Home setup from the HP System Restore disks, I just went to this web site (using IE, I think, *cough*) and clicked on the link. Shortly thereafter I was installing Etch, and soon had a dual-boot setup. Amazing. Great job, developers!

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>