Re: ext3 Partition 6GB less than underlying logical volume even after resizing using resize2fs

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 22:54 +0530, Siju George wrote:
> Thankyou so  much :-) That is good news.
> How about JFS's Speed compared to ext3, ReiserFS. XFS etc in your observation?

ext3 is fast, but mainly is slower than ReiserFS, JFS and XFS.

JFS is very fast. It has some problem when working with exceedingly
large files (+4GB) *and* when fragmentation becomes a significant issue.
Massive amounts of small files in a single directory (10,000+ etc) tends
to slow it down as well. But then most filesystems do this. On th up
side, JFS is just faster in most applications. IBM ported JFS from OS/2,
not AIX.

XFS is also very fast, I default to this (personal opinion plus a bit of
history). It also tends to get cranky about files over 4GB when
fragmentation become an issue, though I've still found it faster than
ext3 and JFS when having this situation, the alog for scatter and
retrieve seems to be a bit better. This mainly comes from SGI machines
having to deal with HUGE files when doing video stuff. SGI is where XFS
comes from.

ReiserFS v3.5/v3.6, I've had multiple (better than 50) experiences where
ReiserFS just craps all over itself. Leaving all files in one location,
rebuilding the tree after minor problems can't and won't help. A small
failure barfs the whole filesystem "tree". I suggest stay away from
ReiserFS. Now, ReiserFS v4, has addressed many of the problems I've
seen... but it is like this:

        Bite my once, shame on you. Bite 50+ times, shame on me.

I won't be using ReiserFSv4 for anything in the future... even Reiser's
wife agrees with that. (Sorry, obligatory poke)

> > LVM/raid is new to me since I installed Etch on my new box.  I havn't
> > tried a resize yet.
> >

> Thankyou so much Dough for the info.
>
> I think i'll stick to JFS for the /var/www partition.

JFS works well, XFS does to. Ext3 has overhead for journals and many
other things. That is why you might have seen your "less than actual"
issue in the first place. ext3 has to store the journal somehwere. Where
as JFS and XFS use the raw fs to do this, so the journal are considered
"part" of the filesystem.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup