Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:21:11 -0400, judd wrote in
[🔎] tkrat.9ea5dd9857df8474@wadsworth.org:

> On  3 Apr, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
>>>     I find the actions of these terrorists just as abhorrent as you
>>>     do.
>>
>>     I doubt that since as far as I have seen until just now you have
>> done nothing but defend them.
>>

>      Show me one instance where I defended the actions of terrorists.
>
>>>     Not to mention that such actions are counterproductive.  If
>>> someone is tortured into confessing to a crime, it is always suspect.
>>
>    Yes, but that isn't exactly what is going on, is it?  What's going
>> in is called, if I recall correctly, the short time problem.  You know
>> something is going to happen, something horrible, and you know that the
>> person you have has information that will stop it.  Once that

>>     So how would you handle the short-time problem?  More importantly,
>> have you even thought to ask how other nations outside the US handle
>> it?  Or how about the other side?  Or are you just content to pass
>> judgment on those who have protected your right to pass judgment on
>> them?
>>

>      The "short time problem", or "ticking time-bomb scenario" is of
> course the classic argument as a possible case where torture _may_be_
> justified, although even this is a matter of opinion.  In the strongest
> case, where you _know_ something is going to happen and you _know_ that
> the suspect in question has direct knowledge of the specifics, you may
> have a case.

..actually no, and never.  Arguing (for) the "24 defense" is arguing for
war crimes and that is a war crime for anyone who does or should know
better.

> Actual cases where this has occurred are extremely rare or
> non-existent.  Show me one case where this has happened, since you state
> that is what's going on.

..it is only effective if you want to speed up enemy reorganization
or confirm Muslim etc belief that the torturists are so bad any lie
is warranted.

..and you _can_ piece together information thru analysis of all those
lies you are told, by mapping what voids you may find after you have
verified all your torture victims stories as lies and not.
But _not_ in 24 hours.  ;o)  Maybe 24 years? ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: