Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On 30 Mar, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:02:49AM -0400, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:

> Interesting.  <sarcasm>Is this where he advocates torture?</sarcasm>:
>
>    Of course, our values as a nation, values that we share with many
>    nations in the world, call for us to treat detainees humanely,
>    including those who are not legally entitled to such treatment. Our
>    nation has been and will continue to be a strong supporter of
>    Geneva and its principles. As a matter of policy, the United States
>    Armed Forces shall continue to treat detainees humanely and, to the
>    extent appropriate and consistent with military necessity, in a
>    manner consistent with the principles of Geneva.
>
> So, it is the stated policy of the US gonvernment, that even though
> the Taliban and al-Qaeda detainees are *not legally entitled* to
> protection under the GCs, they still be *accorded the protection*!  It
> seems like the "GCs don't apply" quote was taken out of context quite
> badly.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

     No, actually the executive order was written to obfuscate the
issue. It was pretty widely reported in the press that this order, and
the memos that it references were specifically written to provide
immunity to prosecution under the US War Crimes Act, after some members
of the administration, particularly in the CIA, expressed worry that
they may be so prosecuted.  I'm surprised that you seem to be unaware
of this.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |