Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

--- Johannes Wiedersich
<johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de> wrote:

> Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 10:43:30PM -0400, Jim
> Hyslop wrote:
> >> If I had immediately followed with some
> outrageous claim that Windows is
> >> better and has fewer security holes because
> <insert some stupid reason>,
> >> *THEN* you could accuse me of spreading FUD.
> >>
> > Windows *is* better, since Microsoft reports much
> fewer bugs than any
> > Linux distribution :-)
>
> Windows *is* better, since it has more users than
> any other OS, and
> those simply can't be wrong. The same applies to M$
> office.
>
> Practically none of its users ever think of *why*
> this or that would be
>  better or worse than any of the alternatives.
>
> Just my .02
> Johannes
>

> --

If you consider the cost of purchasing Windows and
Office, as well as the hardware to run these products
in a usefull manner and updates, it should be better.
But considering the number of unpatched
vulnerabilities in windows, the ease with which new
malware effect, and the multinational businesses that
have come into being securing windows from malware, is
it really better and worth the cost?  The cost of
almost every component of the PC has been going down,
except for windows which now (for the common business
PC at least) is nearly the most expensive component.