Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

Dusty Wilson wrote:
> I'm re-gathering what everyone has said so far.  Here's my list so
> far.  But there are still a couple missing (chmod/chown) and others
> I'm not 100% sure of (lilo, passwd, chroot).

I'll give it a shot.  You haven't heard from me yet (except some
off-topic comment)

> named = name-dee
name-dee
> pxe = pixie
pixie
> Debian = deb-ee-un
deb-ee-an
> bind = bynd (like find or whined, not like bindy or windy)
bynd
> lilo = lie-lo or ??
lie-lo
> SQL = ess-cue-ell or sequel
ess-cue-ell
> MySQL = My-ess-cue-ell
> PostgreSQL = post-gress-cue-ell
post-gress-cue-el
> FAQ = eff-ay-cue or fak
fak
> etc = et-see
et-see
> usr = user
user
> lib = libb (short i, like LIBerty, not like LIBrary)
libb
> proc = prock
prock
> init = inn-it
inn-it
> daemon = dee-mon or day-mon (http://foldoc.org/?daemon says /dee'mon/
day-mon
> was the original way)
> kde = kay-dee-ee
kay-dee-ee
> gnu = guh-new
guh-new
> gnome = guh-nome
nome
> vi = vee-aye
vee-eye
> passwd = password or ??
password
> irc = i-r-c
eye-arse-ee
> chroot = shroot (like SHould), cheroot (like CHErry)
chroot (like CHip)
> chmod = ??
see-h-mod
> chown = ??
chown (like CHip)

joe

PS, I can't think of how to spell the sound for the letter "h" so I left
it alone.
- --