Re: Mach64 - Etch - Xorg & DRI

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:41:40PM EDT, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > > I did manage to get this working with a former linux kernel image of
> > > Etch, but I've had no luck with the more recent kernel image of
> > > Etch.
>
> > Would that be 2.4.27?
>
> I got direct rendering, with the aforementioned driver, running on
> 2.6.16-2.  I currently have 2.6.18-4, and for some reason the driver
> won't install on it (it complains of the modules, or something.)  It
> may work on your 2.6.20, but if not, I imagine you could install the
> image and headers for 2.6.16-2, then install the Mach64 driver, and run
> that when you need direct rendering.

I think 2.6.16 is recent enough for another one of my requirements ..
small fonts on the console. By small I mean a ptsize =< 12.

> The other thing to consider is just getting a new video card.  Having
> direct rendering from the ATI RagePro Mach64 card sort of allowed me to
> play ppracer, but, really, due to how old the card is, it didn't do
> much else for me.  Getting a newer card, even if it's a cheap old radeon
> card, would work better, I imagine.

The machine is a Dell laptop.  There may be possibilities to upgrade the
video card to something compatible but it's obviously not going to be as
straightforward as if it were a desktop.  May not be worth the trouble
either since the laptop will be seven years old in a few months.

Thanks,
cga