Re: CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y, ACPI, and uswsusp

Nick Lidakis(nlidakis@verizon.net) is reported to have said:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> >Last try
> >
> >1.  cd /usr/src/linux
> >less .config
> >
> >Post the section starting with
> >#
> ># Power management options (ACPI, APM)
> >#
> >

> #
> # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
> #
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_PM_LEGACY=y
> # CONFIG_PM_DEBUG is not set
>
> #
> # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> #
> CONFIG_ACPI=y
> # CONFIG_ACPI_AC is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
> # CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
> # CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
> # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_IBM is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
> # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
> CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y
> # CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_SBS is not set

Ahh.  This is a self compiled kernel.  Debian Kernel has mostly
everything set as modules.  I have 5 different 2.6.28 debian lernels
here and just checked all of them. in the ACPI section there are only
2 items that are 'not set'.
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set

I would suggest you try a kernel-image kernel-image-2.6-(386/686/k7)
depending on your processor.

> #
> # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
> #
> # CONFIG_APM is not set
>

> >2.  Tell us what kernel source you are using.
> >ie dpkg -l linux-kernel |grep ^i
> >

> That command returns:
> phobos:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18# dpkg -l linux-kernel |grep ^i
>
> No packages found matching linux-kernel.

Yes, because I didn't proof read my message..  :-(

I meant to say  - dpkg -l linux-source* |grep ^i

here is what I show on my desktop

VT1 root-3-TESTING:~# dpkg -l linux-source* |grep ^i
ii  linux-source-2.6.18 2.6.18.dfsg.1-11 Linux kernel source for
    version 2.6.18

and

VT1 root-3-TESTING:~# dpkg -l linux-headers* |grep ^i
ii  linux-headers-2.6.18-4                 2.6.18.dfsg.1-12 Common
    header files for Linux 2.6.18
ii  linux-headers-2.6.18-4-k7              2.6.18.dfsg.1-12 Header
    files for Linux 2.6.18 on AMD K7

Notice I have two (2) kernel header files.  the K7 headers are used
because I have an athlon processor on my desktop.  My laptop needs
linux-headers-2.6.18-4-686 file instead of the -K7 headers.

> I am using the Debian kernel source 2.6.18. Got that from:  apt-get
> install linux-source-2.6.18.

And you installed which linux-header file(s) before you tried to
configure that kernel?  If your answer is none, that probably is what
caused your original problem.

> Huh? Please elaborate. Did you mean kernel-image-{whatever-version-I-want}?

If you are compiling your own kernel, which it seems you are (or were)
you will be working with a linux-source-2.6.18 package.  If you are a
newbie, I would suggest you get your feet wet first and install an
image file instad of the source.  They are built to run on a 386 and
up, do not require you to configure/compile them, and will just work.
All but some (required to boot) options are compiled as modules.

Hope the abobe is clear and free of typo's.  Its late but I think I
caught them all.

Wayne

--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.