Re: GPG and Signing

Robert Roach wrote:
Jim Hyslop wrote:

Jose Luis Rivas Contreras wrote:
Michael Pobega escribió:
[...]
What are the advantages to having it?
You can be sure that the person is who says it is.

Wellll.... that's a pretty big simplification. It is possible to do
that, but you must understand how the system works first. I realize it's
impractical to go into details in this list, but I just wanted to make
sure Michael was aware there's a *LOT* behind that statement.

Michael, Wikipedia has a reasonably concise overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy

I was wondering about that too. Went to local book store and found a good book on both PGP and GPG:

http://www.amazon.com/PGP-GPG-Email-Practical-Paranoid/dp/1593270712/ref=sr_1_1/104-6276993-4918331?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175414807&sr=8-1

It's a quick and interesting read after which you will have a good understanding of framework and mechanisms of both the tools and the theory behind it.

No local bookstores here :-(
I'm still waiting for a *well written plain English* description of PGP/GPG.

The message recipient uses the sender's public key and the digital signature to recover the original message digest.

is really another version of Fortran en not plain English. May be the latter is no longer used in the business we're in...

Hugo