Strange X phenomen since upgrade to X-org

I recently upgraded  a production system from sarge to etch and for the most
part there were no real surprises. [ Congrats to the developers] I did run
into a thorny problem that I am unable to figure out. When I switch from the
xserver to the console screen (ctrl-alt-F1) all is OK, however when I try to
switch back to the Xsever screen (ctrl-alt-F7) it is always (100% of the
time) unreadable. The screen seems to be made up of 4 to 6 overlaping images
that are vertically more narrow than normal. This is my first use of xorg and
other than that it works OK. I can correct this by restarting the xserver.
Due to my lack of experience with xorg I need a little help.
Thanks!!!
--
John W. Foster