Re: cdda2wav lacks utf-8 or unicode support?

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 20:20 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> I have made an audio CD from some music we recorded. The tracks
> information contains some unicode text. Vorbiscomment and metaflac
> commands display the track's information of ogg and flac files correctly
>   in konsole (so the locale settings are correct and necessary fonts are
> installed). However, after burning the audio CD, the following command
> shows question marks instead of non-English characters (but English text
> is shown properly):
> $> cdda2wav -JH dev=/dev/hdd
>
> This is the same session of konsole in which vorbiscomment and metaflac
> commands output the characters properly. Does cdda2wav not support utf-8
> or unicode characters? Or am I missing something?

Hi,

I found this,

        "Unfortunately, the CD Text standard supports only two character
        encodings (ASCII and ISO Latin Modified 1), which, in practice,
        means that it cannot be used for non-Latin languages, such as
        Japanese."

http://www.xowave.com/doc/ref/metadata.shtml (The description is from
some Mac app, but I think it's general for CD-Text).

I guess cdda2wav (it's icedax really) expects the data to be ASCII or
Latin 1, maybe k3b should convert the text before burning the cd? Could
be a good idea to discuss this with the k3b developers.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson