Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

Dusty Wilson wrote:

Depending on your stance, this could even be about GNU/Linux ;) (just
speaking of 'correct').
> In an effort to not sound like a newbie when speaking verbally about
> Linux-related terms, I would like to know how to properly pronounce
> these words.  I've been training a co-worker on server management and
> have run into quite a few terms for which I didn't quite know the
> proper pronunciation.
Heres /my opinion/ in general.

> Also I think I know the correct way to say some of these but I really
> want to make sure, so I'll put those in the list too.
>
> named = name-dee
> pxe = pixie
> Debian = deb-ee-inn
Deb-Ian (per debian.org)
> bind = bind, bin-dee, or ?
i say bind
> lilo = lie-lo, lill-lo, lee-lo, or ?
i say lie-lo
> SQL = ess-cue-ell or sequel
the former (because of how i say mysql ;))
> MySQL = My-ess-cue-ell (according to an old FAQ on MySQL's site)
then thats probably correct ;)
> PostgreSQL = post-gress-cue-ell or ?
thats how i say it :)
> FAQ = eff-ay-cue or fak
i use either
> etc = et-see
etcetera
> usr = user
> lib = lib or lieb (short vs long i)
i use short i.
> proc = prock
> init = inn-it
> daemon = demon, day-mon, or ?
i use day-mon
> kde = kay-dee-ee
> gnu = new, guh-new, or ?
guh-new (GNU ... is pronounced /guh-noo/, approximately like /canoe/."
from gnu.org)
> gnome = nome, guh-nome, or ?
to me, guh-nome
> vi = vee-aye or vye
vye
> passwd = password or pass-w-dee
i say 'password', without the o or r. passw'd.
> irc = i-r-c, irk, or ?
>
> Thanks for your help!  (...and I hope I don't inadvertently start a
> battle. :-)
you might :)
hope it helps.
kk