Re: Need help with SSH set-up

On 3/31/07, Kushal Kumaran <kushal.kumaran@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/31/07, Paul E Condon  wrote:
> I'm setting up SSH to replace telnet for use on my LAN.  I've gotten
> basic functionality working but I'm struggling with ssh-agent and
> ssh-add. Where should I put them? Or have invocation of them already
> been planted in boot-up scripts somewhere awaiting my flipping a few
> config switches?

See /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ and the use-ssh-agent configuration option in
/etc/X11/Xsession.options.

ssh-agent should already be started for you if you simply use the
default setup.  Simply run ssh-add from a gnome-terminal.

> I'm running Etch with tasksel configured desktop environment.  My
> style of working doesn't use GUI much, but I have _many_
> gnome-terminal windows open, and I want ssh links to several computers
> on my screen. From reading a few advise web sites I get the impression
> that I could reduce typing of passphrase by using ssh-agent and
> ssh-add, but I can't figure out how.
>
> And then it might be that these programs actually serve an entirely
> different purpose than I believe.
>
> Advice?

Maybe this can help you, If I understand well, what you want is not be
asked for the passwords?

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/16

For security reasons it is also good to disable root access from SSH,
and login using another username and switch to root as needed using su
- command.

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/42

regards.
--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."