Re: gnome won't uninstall because I messed up dpkg by mixing and matching apt-get and aptitude incorrectly (used to be Re: upgrading in sid)

Charlie,

In this kind of situation, I would "# apt-get --purge remove" the
problematic package(s), then "# apt-get update" and try again.

as Daniel and Florian have pointed out elsewhere in this thread, my problem is with libxml2 being completely borken at the moment (I think) and aptitude is just showing me the manifestation (because of all the calls to gconftool-2 in postinstall scripts for gnome apps and libs).

Of course, I would do all this from the (real) console, not a GNOME
terminal window.

you're just chicken :-]

(i'm still in the same original openbox session I started in a couple days ago (my one concession was to not do this from my usual busy (50-100 application windows spread across 4 desktops) KDE session))

i did take the extra step of doing my upgrade from within a screen session (inside konsole, not gnome-terminal)

Lastly, I'd *never* use aptitude.

It appears (to me at least) that that's an irrational bias you have there. I'm going with the debian/GNU party line which says aptitude is superior to apt-get in some way (though I still don't think there's a drop-in replacement for "apt-get source" functionality to make aptitude do the right thing, so I would still use apt-get there, but now that i know "aptitude install -f" is the equivalent of "apt-get -f install", I really use apt-get for nothing except downloading source packages, aptitude happily works just fine (until this event, and I think it was really the number of upgradeable packages I was trying to do at once, and the unfortunate circumstance of not reading the apt-listbugs output closely enough to catch that this libxml2 problem was gonna bite me)) -- i'm confident it'll get solved though (and if not, a reinstall isn't a huge burden for me).

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

	thanks,