Re: wine - resource hog

On Dec 31, 2007 12:02 PM, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:31:45PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
> > to work (so far windows media player 9, realplayer 10, and a few other
> AFAIK, wine won't work with anything later than Windows Media Player 6.4
> because of MS DRM and OS bundling. As long as files aren't actually
> DRMed, you can use the Win32 codecs from Debian Multimedia to play
> almost any type of uncrippled file.

It looks like WMP 9 installs and plays MP3 files, but that's about it:

However it seems to be somewhat better in Crossover Office:

joseph lockhart said:

> Processor      : Intel Celeron 2.60GHz
> Memory         : 247MB (217MB used)
> OS                : Ubuntu 7.10 (to be replaced by Etch)

Wine Version : ???

I am still not sure why wine would be a major resource hog
on your machine. In general, I would say you could use more
RAM (at least another 256 would be a good starting point).

But that doesn't help if wine eats all that memory and/or
your processor time.

Wine seems to have a lot of "churn"; the best thing is often
to try a different version, maybe even an older one.

as far as accompaniment tracks, are they in wma format?
Can you get what you need from Amazon's unencumbered
MP3 store or someplace similar? I don't know what you
need, but I do know that sometimes the best solution to a
problem is to change the problem.

Kelly Clowers