Re: wine - resource hog

On Dec 31, 2007 12:02 PM, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 09:31:45PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
>
> > to work (so far windows media player 9, realplayer 10, and a few other
>
> AFAIK, wine won't work with anything later than Windows Media Player 6.4
> because of MS DRM and OS bundling. As long as files aren't actually
> DRMed, you can use the Win32 codecs from Debian Multimedia to play
> almost any type of uncrippled file.

It looks like WMP 9 installs and plays MP3 files, but that's about it:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1449

However it seems to be somewhat better in Crossover Office:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=472;tips=1

--

joseph lockhart said:

(summarized)
> Processor      : Intel Celeron 2.60GHz
> Memory         : 247MB (217MB used)
> OS                : Ubuntu 7.10 (to be replaced by Etch)

Wine Version : ???

I am still not sure why wine would be a major resource hog
on your machine. In general, I would say you could use more
RAM (at least another 256 would be a good starting point).

But that doesn't help if wine eats all that memory and/or
your processor time.

Wine seems to have a lot of "churn"; the best thing is often
to try a different version, maybe even an older one.

--

as far as accompaniment tracks, are they in wma format?
Can you get what you need from Amazon's unencumbered

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers