Re: upgrading in sid

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 20:29:09 -0500, charlie derr wrote:
> charlie derr wrote:

[...]

>> delete:~# dpkg -l libxml2 gconf2 | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
>> ii gconf2 2.20.1-2
>> ii libxml2 2.6.30.dfsg-3

[...]

>> delete:~# /usr/bin/python -V
>> Python 2.4.4

That looks OK to me; I have the same versions and I can run
update-gconf-defaults without problems.

> after much fussing (all with aptitude now -- i'm not mixing in any apt-get
> commands),

Just to clarify this once more: Your main problem is the gconftool-2
issue, which seems to break all package scripts which call this tool.
Using apt-get in between only caused a minor temporary problem with
aptitude's database, from which aptitude recovered on its own AFAICT.

>            I've managed to successfully remove a lot of gnome stuff, but
> not enough to completely succeed.  I've snipped lots of output above this
> (and in my mind, the gzopen64 thing seems to be key -- it's certainly
> repeated once for each of these packages that are now still failing)

Yes, this seems to be the root of all evil at the moment.

> Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> Setting up dia-common (0.96.1-6) ...
> gconftool-2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64
> dpkg: error processing dia-common (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127

[...]

gzopen64 should be defined in /usr/lib/libz.so.1; something is wrong
with this on your system. Post the output of the following commands:

dpkg -l zlib1g

ldd /usr/bin/gconftool-2 | grep libz

ldd /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 | grep libz

nm -D /usr/lib/libz.so.1 | grep gzopen64

          Florian   |