Re: debian how-to

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:08:13 +0900
David <davidpalmer@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:05:35PM -0800, Rick Dooling wrote:
> >
> >> I know about Debian Reference and Debian Help site, but I'm more
> >> interested in a list of common how-tos that most people would
> >> like to do after installation, such as add mp3 playing ability,
> >> installing flash, mounting usb drives or ntfs drives and so on,
> >> the sort of things found in Martin's Ubuntu How-To. I know that
> >> some work in both. I guess I'm just curious if a similar thing
> >> already exists for Debian. And if not would it be a useful
> >> project to redo the Ubuntu How-To with an eye toward the Debian
> >> user.
> >>

> > Since all the documentation is already provided on how to do each
> > of these with whatever tools are installed on the user's box, the
> > most important skill for the new Debian user to have is howto
> > find and use the documentation.
>
> Agreed!
>
> And not just documentation.
> I've thought a number of times that the package description aspect
> of the aptitude interface should include the path of the package
> concerned. Also on the Debian site package description and the
> documentation - surely that makes sense.
>
> This would help a newbie get on top of the filing scenario much
> more quickly.
>
> I remember struggling to find exactly where packages lived on my
> system when I would look in a number of places and see packages
> with similar names residing in a couple of them (or more).
> Regards,
>
> --
> David Palmer
> Linux User - #352034

I moved to Linux, from Windoze NT, back in 1999.  One of the very
first things I did, in trying to learn about Linux, was to learn some
very basic commands.

Did you know that Linux keeps a database of every file stored on your
hard drive(s)?  There are commands to find those files.

locate - list files in databases that match a pattern
# locate header.php
lists every file named header.php complete with path

whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a
command
# whereis whereis lists every file named "whereis" on your hard disk,
of course, complete with path

--
Raquel
Family values are a little like family vacations-subject to