Re: debian how-to

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 06:05:35PM -0800, Rick Dooling wrote:
I know about Debian Reference and Debian Help site, but I'm more
interested in a list of common how-tos that most people would like to
do after installation, such as add mp3 playing ability, installing
flash, mounting usb drives or ntfs drives and so on, the sort of
things found in Martin's Ubuntu How-To. I know that some work in both.
I guess I'm just curious if a similar thing already exists for Debian.
And if not would it be a useful project to redo the Ubuntu How-To with
an eye toward the Debian user.

Since all the documentation is already provided on how to do each of
these with whatever tools are installed on the user's box, the most
important skill for the new Debian user to have is howto find and use
the documentation.

Agreed!

And not just documentation.
I've thought a number of times that the package description aspect of the aptitude interface should include the path of the package concerned. Also on the Debian site package description and the documentation - surely that makes sense.

This would help a newbie get on top of the filing scenario much more quickly.

I remember struggling to find exactly where packages lived on my system when I would look in a number of places and see packages with similar names residing in a couple of them (or more).
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034