Re: wine - resource hog

On Dec 29, 2007 9:31 PM, joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> wrote:
> just wondering if anyone else has trouble using wine?
> everytime that i install it, i cannot get the program
> that i would like to use with it to work (so far
> windows media player 9, realplayer 10, and a few other
> programs that my wife wanted me to try and install for
> her).

RealPlayer 10 is available as a native Linux program. You can get
it from real.com or you can add debian-multimedia to your apt
repos.

In /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line like this:
deb http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/debian/debian-multimedia/ sid main

The debian-multimedia.org website has other mirrors you can use.

By getting some packages from debian-multimedia it is possible
to play all media types with native Linux media players such as
GXine, MPlayer, VLC, Kaffeine or Totem. The only real reason to use
WMP or Real would be for familiarity.

> in fact all that i have been able to get to work
> with wine is notepad (which is of little use). however
> top shows wine gobbling up resources even when it is
> not running anything, dpkg shows an error on any
> attempt to reconfigure so i always end up removing
> wine after a couple of days. however, i do wonder why
> it acts that way

What are you system specs? What Debian version are
you using, and what Wine version?

Once installed, try adjusting your settings in winecfg.

I have only used Wine for a few games, such as StarCraft, but
performance is not usually a major problem for me. I use the
3rd party Ubuntu Wine packages, because they are more
up-to-date, sometimes much more.

If you want to try this, add

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt feisty main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. I think feisty is the correct
release to go with etch. Right now, for Lenny (testing) and
Sid I use gutsy.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers