Re: [OT] RIP Netscape

On Dec 29, 2007 3:18 PM, Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > my memory of Netscape is always kind of unpleasant. I remember
> > > struggling to get it to work properly
> >
> > ????
>
> Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.5 for Linux has just been released.
> Works fine, looks good.
> Get it here:
>
>     http://browser.netscape.com/downloads
>
> After unpacking, just run ./navigator inside the folder.
> No interference with the package manager.

He is probably referring to Netscape <= 4.x
Nobody uses Netscape >= 6 anyway, which is why it is being dropped.

> As far as I'm concerned, 'Netscape' is a good name. I always wondered
> how names like 'Seamonkey', 'Iceape' or 'Firefox' could ever make their
> way into a serious, corporate environment.

Mozilla and Firefox (and Phoenix and Firebird) are fine in my opinion.
SeaMonkey, Iceape, Iceweasel, etc. seem like suboptimal names to
me, but they aren't as widespread. Anyway, I just say Mozilla and
Firefox unless I really need to specify (I hope no one from MoCo
reads that).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers