Re: compatibility problems

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:17:00PM -0800, Don Harwood wrote:
> I'm a new convert to the debian linux world however I'm starting to get
> cold feet with compatibility issues, i just purchased a CNC mill that is
> run by a amd64 box with debian linux, i also just had a new box built for
> me to do my cad/cam work on. figuring that since one box is linux why not
> both [not to mention that i hate windows].  my new box is an amd64 dual
> core with a high end graphics card, nice box!
>
> my trouble starts with the key board, i got a new logitech wireless wave
> usb keyboard, will it work?  the logitech people simply say they don't
> support linux, no help there. should i get an old fashion ps2 keyboard?
>
> the next troubling thing i got was when i called at&t to get dsl service,
> they also say they don't support linux. what can be done with this?
>
> I'm not a super user but i had a user level account on a unix system and
> liked the way it dit its thing. i need to get this thing up and running
> before i crawl unhappily back to windows.

Very few hardware types explicitly support linux or any free OS.  By
support, they mean that they can tell you what to do when things don't
go well.  However, most things work on Linux and the BSDs.

The DSL modem provided by AT&T likely presents you with a 10 MB/s
ethernet port and has a dhcp server built-in.  Thus, you will have a
two-node network on the cable between their modem and your first box
(which may only be a firewall you build; any old computer should do).

The keyboard is a slightly different issue as all wireless stuff tends
to be.  If it has a driver in the linux kernel supplied by Debian (i.e.
not excluded due to tainted licensing), then it too should just work.
However, you may have to do some tweaking to get all the extra buttons
working (if you want them).

If for some reason you do give up on linux, before you crawl back to
windows, try out OpenBSD.  It will be very much like your old user level
account on a unix system except that you will be a unix administrator.

What software do you use for your CAD?

Doug.