Re: Vá: Using wdm how to pass "-- -logverbose 6" to startx?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 05:05:30PM +0100, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> 2007/12/28, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>:
> >
> > Your Xorg.0.log looks fine to me. So what exactly happens when you
> > type startx? maybe you don't have a window manager selected? How have
> > you selected your window manager before, using wdm?
>
> When I type startx then it runs and on the end I get a blank screen
> and then I get the Virtual Terminal back again.

Paul, if you want help, you need to be patient. THe behavior above is
normal. Your X was working, you just didn't have a WM set as the
default, or setup in ~/.xinitrc.

> This was yesterday.
>
> Today I purge the wdm, xserver-xorg, and install xserver-xorg
> but without wdm again.

why did you purge it? it was working.

> I try now to get X Window with startx, but without success.

Again, in *what way* are you not having success? you Xorg.0.log again
looks ust fine. You are still facing the same problem as above.

> I think I go to reinstall the Etch system. :(

please don't do this. There is no need.

Please answer the following questions and I'll help you.

WHat window manager do you want to use?

What is the output of (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

you'll need to just press enter to keep it as currently set.

Do you have a ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file? if so, what are the
contents?