Re: How to start X as a user?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 02:42:53PM +0100, Dan H <dunno@stoptrick.com> was heard to say:
> Hello,
>
> back in the olden days I used to be able to log in on a text console and then use "startx" to start an X session. I just tried that (without X running of course) but was rebuffed with the message that I wasn't authorized to start X.
>
> How does this work (on etch)?

  Who is allowed to start X is controlled by /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.
The default configuration is:

allowed_users=console
nice_value=0

  ...or at least that's what's on my system, and I don't think I changed
the debconf settings.  The Xwrapper.config(5) manual page describes this
file in somewhat more detail, although there isn't much to say about it.

  Daniel