Re: How to start X as a user?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:05:46 +0100
Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:

> You are authorized to use startx as a user.
>
> My guess is, that you didn't actually shut down X before you tried
> that, but just extended X into the background.

No, I changed into a text console and did /etc/init.d/kdm stop.
ps ax | grep X didn't turn up anything.
When I then try to start X as a normal user, this is what I get:

$ startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/dh/.serverauth.10626
X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
xinit:  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
$

It's all Greek to me, frankly.

--D.