Re: How to start X as a user?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 14:42:53 +0100
Dan H <dunno@stoptrick.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> back in the olden days I used to be able to log in on a text console
> and then use "startx" to start an X session. I just tried that
> (without X running of course) but was rebuffed with the message that
> I wasn't authorized to start X.
>
> How does this work (on etch)?

You are authorized to use startx as a user.

My guess is, that you didn't actually shut down X before you tried
that, but just extended X into the background.

If you are using KDM or GDM or something like that, make sure you
unstall those, and then when you boot up you will be presented with the
login prompt. There you can write "startx" as a normal user, and X will
start.