Re: apt-get -dist-upgrade leaves wireless keyboard and mouse useless on "sarge"

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:26:00AM -0800, schmity <schmity@nctv.com> was heard to say:
> On Dec 27, 8:50 am, Daniel Burrows <dburr...@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 09:15:43PM -0800, schmity <schm...@nctv.com> was heard to say:> >   Could you post your /etc/apt/sources.list and the contents of
> >
> > > You are right.  Here is the info I have.  Still wish the wireless
> > > keyboard and mouse would work.
> >
> > > brent@Linuxbox:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> > > #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
> >
> > > debftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable main
> > > debftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/testing main
> >
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >   Actually, it looks like you upgraded all the way to lenny.
> >
> >   Hm, could you check what kernel version you're running? (uname -r)
> > Also, what is the hardware (computer and keyboard) that you're trying
> > to use?  Do you have both a wireless and a wired keyboard plugged in?
> > Have you tested the wireless keyboard in text mode, or just in X?
> >
> >   I don't think that will tell me what's going on, but at least I will
> > be confused with more information. :-)
> >
> >   Daniel
> >
> > --
>
> Here is the kernel I'm running.  That is what I was thinking is that I
> would need to rebuild the kernel.  Also, the keyboard and mouse do not
> work on the text screens either (i.e. ctrl-alt-f6 for example).
>
> brent@Linuxbox:~$ uname -r
> 2.4.27-3-386
> brent@Linuxbox:~$

  Ah.  Ok, you're running a very very old kernel (one that's not even
part of etch, let alone lenny) with up-to-date user-space software.  I
bet the problem is related to the hardware detection code, which
probably doesn't know about whatever old driver your kernel needs.

  Could you try installing the latest kernel in lenny and see if it
helps?  I believe that would be linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 -- obviously
only if you have a 686+ chip (anything made in the last 5 years will be).

  Daniel