Re: what to take off the root partition

On Friday December 21 2007 21:33:06 Alex Samad wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 03:51:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Friday December 21 2007 14:38:22 Alex Samad wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > My only unfortunate situation is that I have only 10G for
> > > /, and I am starting to feel the pinch.  It has lasted me
> > > for 8 years
> >
> > Impressive.  Have you run /# apt-get clean/?  That should
> > free up lots of space.
>
> good guess one of the culprits

It always is... :)

[snip]

> > I limited / (incluing /var) and /home to 18GB each.  Then I
> > created /data and mounted the remainder of hda (specifically,
> > hda4) as /data/01.  Other disks I've purchased have then been
> > mounted as /data/02 and /data/03.
> >
> > That's where I put music and video files.
> >
> > Of course, your circumstances may vary.
>
> I have a /exports/{video,music,photo,...}

Mine are called "share".  Exact same idea.

> but I use lvm that way I can add and move around as I need to

For some reason, I've always been leery of adding another layer
between the spindles and the fs.  The ability of a vanilla kernel
to read my drives is a comfort to me.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach him to fish, he
gets mad at you for making him have to work so hard."